Monday, January 22, 2018

Hmmm . . . do I like it?



I couldn't resist. I needed toilet paper from Walgreens. And let me tell you, I cannot for the life of me figure out why toilet paper is not on the Maslow's heirarchy of needs. Am I alone in launching right into DEFCON 5 if there is no more t.p. in the house and I am in desperate need? The awkward tip-toe into the kitchen for the paper towel roll is no way to live.

Thank god my wife has never seen that walk of shame.

And I did it. I bought a box of re-pack. It advertised one pack of unopened cards along with the 100 assorted others.

Sweet!

Sort of.

This is what it was.






I had never seen these cards before. I had never heard of the Triple Play sets that came out in the early 90's. I knew that Panini couldn't show logos. That's about it.

At first I was shocked that these were the cards I got:








It took me a minute not to hate them outright. What the heck? Cartoons? Two of the seven cards were a sticker and a temporary tattoo! 

Then, I breathed. Like they do in Yoga. I think. In and out. In and out. Slowly.

Researching the product, I'm kind of on board with it now. Clearly developed for children, and at only 0.99 a pack, very reasonable for a family to buy. What a good way to get kids into the hobby. Perhaps to get kids into baseball at all.

After I was over my initial repulsion, I looked closer. I like the symbols in the background that roughly represent the teams name. My favorite by far of these above is the Lincecum card with the Golden Gate bridge in the background. I also think the graphic of Justin Morneau is dead on and well realized. Hmm, not so bad after all.

So what did I learn?

I think the take away lesson is that the next time I run out of toilet paper when I am in need, I need to breathe like they do in Yoga. In and out. In and out, slowly.

That and pray my wife isn't in the kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. That set also had eye-black stickers, and certain players that had a 9-card puzzle set.

    ReplyDelete