Monday, February 18, 2013

The Sorting of 5000

I am back!!! I'm not going to buy any new cards  . . . alright maybe a few, but no seriously. I'm going to catalog this giant, semi-cool ebay purchase. I got 5000 cards. That's alot to sort, and file in my OCD way. That is actually part of this hobby I like, the sorting and organizing. I imagine Dewey, of Dewey Decimal fame, enjoyed the hobby of sport card collecting as well.

So I'm gonna sort, catalogue and record. Here goes, with the first of a ton of posts regarding 1992 Topps. I was in 10th grade, loved soccer, Primus, and driving.

The first is #5 Dave Winfield:


Nearing the end of a Hall of Fame career, Winfield had a descent year, becoming the oldest person in history to hit for the cycle on June 24th against the Royals. Breaking Honus Wagners record. When you're breaking a Honus Wagner record that is saying something! The very next year Dave hits a double to win the world series for his new team the Blue Jays. Well done sir, well done.


#7 Jim Olander fought for a spot 12 years in the minor leagues. In this card from 1991 Jim finally played 12 games in the big league. With 12 games, 9 at bats, and 2 Runs he had a good showing. A broken leg the next year spelled doom for the old goat, and he never played another major league game. He is a scout now for the Detroit Tigers, and considered a quality baseball guy.



#8 Bryan Hickerson pitched from '91-'95 in the Major leagues to an even record of 21-21. He recorded 279 strikeouts and traveled from the Giants to the Cubs to the Rockies. He stays involved with baseball via UPI, a christian outreach group using baseball to reach youth.

6 comments:

  1. Almost like me:

    10 grade in 1992 - Yes
    Loved Soccer - Yes
    Loved Driving - Yes
    Primus - No,but 75% is pretty close (they had one good song)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Adam, for sure. I was right fullback, what were you? If not Primus what were your jams?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction, Winfield hit a double to drive in the winning run in the 1992 World Series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. Correct, thank you. I've changed the post. Good catch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chef! Glad to see you back. I've been setting aside Ozzie Smith cards for you as I'd come across them if you'd like another little stack. email me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Great to be back. I too have collected a collection of Angels for you, still in the plastic cube I put em in a few months ago :) Lets connect.

      Delete